Friday, June 5, 5 pm to 7 pm. Hands-On, (Age 15 and up)
Chef Jessica Roberts, a Cookery veteran, returns to help sharpen your knife skills in our most popular 101, and our first all ages Knife Skills, age 15 and up. Learn what the hardest working tool in your kitchen can do. You will practice the correct grip, how to slice, julienne, dice, and chiffonade with expert guidance. Together, we'll make a real-time meal of Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Snow Pea Vermicelli Noodle Salad. Join us for an evening of skills and confidence-building along with a great meal!
Vegetarian/Vegan options listed in ingredient list.
Zoom is a conferencing app that we will be using to host this online cookery class. You can download the app on your phone/tablet or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, its free.
Chef Jessica and her team will guide you through the class and answer any questions you have during this interactive class. This is what you need to have at home in time for class.
Recipes make 6 servings. Feel free to half ingredients if smaller portions preferred or enjoy the leftovers!
- 2 pounds ground chicken, turkey or veggie ground round (2 pkgs)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 100 grams/4 oz rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp fish sauce (for a vegetarian/vegan version- 2 1/2 tbsp EACH soy sauce and rice vinegar with a pinch of salt or vegan fish sauce)
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion
- 2” piece fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 limes
- 2 medium carrots
- 225 grams snow or snap peas
- 5-6 green onions
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, 2 heads Boston lettuce or 2 large romaine hearts
- Chef's Knife or just 'a good kitchen knife' (a sharp one!) (essential)
- Cutting Board (essential)
- Measuring Cups (essential)
- Measuring Spoons (essential)
- Large fry pan, preferably non-stick - about 10-12" (essential)
- Medium saucepan - about 3 litre capacity (essential)
- 2 wooden spoons or plastic spatulas for cooking meat
- Large mixing bowl
- 4-5 small-medium prep/mixing bowls
- Colander for draining lettuce (essential)
- Fine mesh strainer for draining noodles (essential)
- Citrus reamer/juicer
- 2 Forks
- Vegetable peeler (essential)
- Sharpening or Honing Steel (recommended)
- Paper towels or clean tea towel for patting dry lettuce