LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Spanish Tapas Night, Sat. Aug. 7
Saturday, August 7, 4:30 pm - 7 pm, Hands-On
Tonight we’ll visit Spain where the purchase of a drink brings a plate of free tapas to your table. Perfect for sharing on a warm Summer night, Chef Jessica Roberts' menu taught in real-time includes fried Sherried Chorizo, Lemon & Herb Marinated Olives, Tortillitas de Camarones (Shrimp Fritters) and Manchego stuffed Mushrooms.
An introduction on tonight's wines will be also provided by our resident wine guru, Amy McIntyre.
In this real-time class hosted on Zoom, you will prep and cook a meal along with us while enjoying a glass of wine or two from Amy's pairings selected from LCBO. (See below)
What you will need:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 680 grams Spanish-style chorizo (dry & cured)
- 680 grams raw shrimp (peeled or unpeeled, any size) (or any boneless and skinless firm white fish in equivalent weight, for those with shellfish sensitivities)
- ½ cup grated Manchego cheese (about 50 grams)
- 1 egg
- 454 grams large cremini mushrooms
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Spanish onion
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or marjoram
- 2 slices white bread (sandwich or rustic bread)
- 454 grams green olives, such as Manzanilla or Gordal (in brine or oil, not marinated)
- 1 1/3 cups good-quality olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 1 cup dry Sherry
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chickpea (besan) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Generous pinch of Saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp crushed chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cutting boards
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 2 large skillets
- Baking sheet (lined with parchment/foil for easier clean-up)
- 3 medium bowls
- Citrus zester/microplane/fine grater
- Wooden spoon
- Rubber/silicone spatula
- A few spoons
- Paper towel (for lining plate to drain shrimp fritters)
- Serving platters/plates/bowls for serving tapas
- Toothpicks for serving tapas (optional)
If you need any assistance in sourcing an ingredient, or require ingredient substitutions due to dietary sensitivities, please contact us.
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese).
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your workstation.
- Be ready to have fun!
Amy's Wine Pairings:
- Paco & Lola Albarino, Alvarinho, Vintages # 350041
- Château des Ferrages Mon Plaisir Sainte-Victoire Rosé 2020, Rosé, Vintages # 19834
- Bodegas Palacio Glorioso Crianza 2016. Tempranillo, Vintages # 340844