LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Alsatian Bistro, Fri. Dec. 4
Friday, December 4, 5:30 pm - 8 pm, Hands-On
In this Global Getaway menu taught by Chef Jessica Roberts, be inspired by Alsace, the region in France that borders Germany, and enjoy Mustard Crème Fraîche Chicken served on Herbed Spaetzle with a chiffonade of Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts. A seasonal dessert of Warm Pear Crisp with Brandied Whipped Cream ends the meal. An introduction on tonight's wines will be also provided by our resident wine guru, Amy McIntyre.
In this real-time class hosted on Zoom, you will prep and cook a meal with your loved one while spending some quality time together over a glass of wine or two. We've added wine pairings from the LCBO at the bottom, consider picking them up, they add beautifully to this meal.
Zoom is a conferencing app that we will be using to host this online cookery class. You can download the app on your phone/tablet or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free.
What you will need:
Ingredient List (serves 4):
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¾ cup diced pancetta
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp crème fraiche
- ¾ cup whole milk (3%)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups white wine
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 4 pounds firm but ripe Bosc or Anjou pears (6 to 7 large)
- 1 lb. (454 grams) Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup 1/4-inch cubes crystallized ginger OR 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp paprika (sweet or smoked)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats (not instant)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large heavy-bottomed pot with lid (for cooking chicken)
- Large pot (for cooking spaetzle)
- Large non-stick pan (for sauteeing spaetzle)
- Large skillet (for Brussels sprouts)
- 9x13 glass baking dish
- Baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Spaetzle maker OR large colander (with LARGE holes) and a ladle
- Stand mixer with whip attachment or electric hand beaters (for whipped cream)
- 3 large mixing bowl (will need an additional large mixing bowl for whipped cream if not using stand mixer)
- 3 medium mixing bowls
- Small mixing bowl
- 2 dinner plates
- Slotted spoon
- 2 wooden spoons
- Rubber spatula
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese).
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your workstation.
- Be ready to have fun!
- Bachelder Les Villages Niagara Gamay Noir, Vintages # 17239
- Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, Gamay, Vintages # 365924
Both wines are reasonably priced, perhaps pick both up (the local Niagara gamay and the French option) and see which you enjoy more.
- Willm Gewarztraminer Reserve Alace , Vintages 269852