LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Introduction to Artisan Bread Making, Tues. Oct. 17
Tues. October 17, 7 pm -9 pm, Hands-On
Join our resident sourdough enthusiast and Cookery proprietress, Alison Fletcher and learn to make your own sourdough bread at home. This is a beginner’s class where you will be guided step-by-step, in creating a beautifully scored, crusty, naturally leavened loaf of sourdough bread.
The price of class includes a jar of live starter to be used in class. Starters will be made available for pickup at any Cookery location. Please specify preferred pickup location. Participants, upon registration, will be emailed a discount code for 10% off our curated list of bread making essentials.
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class.
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your workstation.
- Be ready to have fun!
What you will need:
Ingredients for 1 Artisanal Loaf of Sourdough:
- 70 g of starter (a generous 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup)
- 3 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour (aka AP) - or a mix of 2 1/2 cups of AP and another cup of Whole Wheat, Rye, or Spelt flour
- 2 tsp. salt, preferably Kosher
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- Kitchen Scale (essential)
- Dry Measures: Measuring cups and spoons (essential)
- Wet Measure: 2 cup liquid measuring cup (essential)
- Wooden Spoon/Spatula (something to bring your dough together) (essential)
- Bench Scraper (helpful to have)
- Large mixing bowl - 3 litres minimum, 4 litres is ideal, 10-12" (essential)
- Silicone, Fabric or Beeswax bowl cover (or plastic wrap in a pinch) (essential)
- Bread lame, sharp knife or dedicated razor blade (for scoring loaf) (essential)
- 4-5 quart Dutch Oven (clay, cast iron, enameled cast iron) or Bread Cloche (essential)
- Oven mitts (essential)
- Oven Thermometer (helpful to have)