Thursday, April 2, 2020, 7pm - 9:30pm (or so!)
Join sourdough enthusiast and Cookery owner, Alison Fletcher for a hands on workshop on artisanal bread baking and learn all about the fermentation and leavening of grains. In this class you will learn to make your own your starter and your own overnight sourdough. Armed with new knowledge and your very own sourdough starter, you too will be able to start your own rewarding journey into sourdough bread making. Vivat Panem!
Zoom is a conferencing app and teaching tool that we will be using to host this online cookery class. You can download the app on your phone or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in. Alison can guide you through the class and answer any questions you may have during the bread making process. Please take your time to get familiar with the app and create an account. A meeting ID will be emailed before class starts so you can simply join in to participate.
This online Introduction to Sourdough Bread Making class is $39 and is on Thursday, April 2 at 7 pm. It includes a separate 30 minute free online workshop (hosted on Zoom, Meeting ID to follow) on Friday, March 27, 7 pm to learn to make the sourdough starter needed for the class on April 2. However, if you would like to purchase our sourdough starter just click on the link and add it to cart, during registration - we will find a way to get it to you if you live in Toronto within 2 km of either of our shops. If you are further afield, please join us on Friday evening.
If you decide to join us, you will need to commit to a few things:
Ingredients for 1 Artisanal Loaf of Sourdough:
- You have a kitchen, access to clean warm water, a clean surface at least 18" x 36" (even if that's you kitchen table)
- You will buy your own ingredients before class
- You will arrange to have the equipment on hand
- We can provide anything you might need, while supplies last, in our webstore for purchase
- Order early if you are joining us and need equipment in advance
- Have your ingredients measured and ready in time for the start of class
- Have your equipment sanitized and ready for use in time for class
- 70 g of starter (a generous 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup)
- 3 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour (aka AP) - or a mix of 2 1/2 cups of AP and another cup of Whole Wheat, Rye, or Spelt flour
- 2 tsp. salt, preferably Kosher
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
Equipment needed for class:
- Kitchen Scale (very helpful to have)
- Dry Measures: Measuring cups and spoons (essential)
- Wet Measure: 2 cup liquid measuring cup (essential)
- Wooden Spoon/Spatula (something to bring your dough together) (essential)
- Bench Scraper (helpful to have)
- Large mixing bowl - 3 litres minimum, 4 litres is ideal, 10-12" (essential)
- Silicone, Fabric or Beeswax bowl cover (or plastic wrap in a pinch) (essential)
- Sharp knife or dedicated razor blade (for loaf decor) (essential)
- 4-5 quart Dutch Oven (clay, cast iron, enameled cast iron) or Bread Cloche (essential)
- Oven mitts (essential)
- Oven Thermometer (helpful to have)
A special newsletter will be sent to those who expressed interest and you can register for class, add the sourdough starter and other items that you might need, by clicking on the links provided. We will then do our utmost to deliver them to you, either via porch drop offs, store pickup at either of our 2 locations before class begins, or via Canada post.
We are ready for your bread journey. Are you?