LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Teens Making Dinner 2, Alsatian French Bistro (ages 13 -17), Thur. Oct. 22
Thursday, October 22, 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm, Hands-On
This Fall, Cookery is back with a new Teens Making Dinner series. Coming off the success of our Summer series, we're proud to offer 7 new classes taught and created by Chef Jessica Roberts. Classes will be a mix of globally-inspired and seasonally influenced menus sure to teach new skills and confidence in the kitchen.
This live, online class will be hosted on Zoom. You can download the app on your phone/tablet, or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free. This is a class taught in real time. Teens will measure, prep and cook the entire menu along with Chef Jessica and serve your family a delicious dinner!
Today's class brings us to Alsace, the region in France that borders on the German border. In a menu that takes influence from both countries, Teens will cook Braised Chicken Thighs with Mustard & Crème Fraîche served with Herbed Spaetzle Noodles and Green Bean Almondine. (**Those with nut allergies, please omit the almonds in the green beans.)
What you will need:
Ingredient List (serves 4):
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup diced pancetta (bacon can be used, if preferred)
- 5 tbsp. creme fraiche
- 3/4 cup whole milk (3%)
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 lbs (570 grams) green beans or haricot verts
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 springs fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 cup white wine (can substitute with non-alcoholic wine or fresh pressed apple cider)
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional, if nut-free is preferred)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika (sweet or smoked)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cutting board
- Chef's Knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large pot (for cooking spaetzle)
- Large heavy-bottomed pot with lid (for cooking chicken)
- Grill pan or cast-iron pan (for searing romaine for salad)
- Large skillet
- Baking sheet
- Citrus juicer or reamer
- Grater (for Parmesan cheese)
- Spaetzle maker OR large colander with large holes plus a ladle (essential)
- Large colander
- 2 small mixing bowls
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- 3 large mixing bowls
- 2 wooden spoons
- Slotted spoon (essential)
- Small whisk
- Rubber spatula
- Pastry brush (optional)
- Paper towel (for draining pancetta)
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese) To ensure that the class runs smoothly, please make sure you:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out ready to cook; have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your work station.
- Be ready to have fun!
Classes are offered individually, sign up for as many classes as you like with discounts given for multiple registrations. A 10% discount is offered when two or more classes are purchased (please enter discount code: KTOC10 during checkout).