LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Young Chef, Week 1, Rustic Italian (ages 8-12), Tues. Oct. 20
Tuesday, October 20, 4:30 pm - 6 pm, Hands-On. (Parent Supervision Recommended)
Cookery is back this fall with a new series and time slot for our Young Chefs. This fall we focus on global comfy classics, from hospitable neighbourhood bistros, welcoming Italian trattorias, and boisterous kebab houses, these menus convey warmth in any language. Join us for our 7-week journey revisiting some comforting classics, and reinventing some new ones.
This live, online class will be hosted on Zoom. You can download the app on your phone/tablet, or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free. This is a class taught in real time. With some supervision, our budding chefs will measure, prep and cook the entire menu along with Chef Joyce and make a delicious family dinner for 4. That's dinner for one weeknight solved!
In our first class in this series, we welcome you to our very own rustic Italian Trattoria. Join Chef Joyce Singh and learn to make the classics, Fettucine Alfredo, and Caesar Salad with Parmesan Croutons. All your perennial favourites. Magiamo!
What you will need:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 500g package good quality Fettucine
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 200g Parmesan cheese in a chunk
- 3 cups 35% cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 shallots
- 1 large head garlic
- 2 lemons
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 loaf of sourdough bread, or other white bread unsliced, for croutons
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 head of romaine, or 2 romaine hearts
- 4 Anchovies in oil (optional)
- 4 slices bacon (optional) for salad
- 2-4 Tbsp of sea salt in a small bowl for seasoning
- Chef knife (cutting garlic, bacon)
- Serrated knife or bread knife (for cutting bread for croutons)
- Cutting board
- Large non-stick skillet (10”-12”) for croutons
- Medium pot (3 Qt or about 7” width) for sauce
- Large pot (to cook pasta)
- Large bowl (4-5 qt) for salad
- Cheese grater/rasp for Parmesan
- Small blender/hand-held stick blender
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon/spatula for sauce,
- Tongs to toss pasta in sauce
- Strainer for pasta
- Bowls of different sizes to hold ingredients
- Oven mitt/towel to hold hot handles
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese).
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your work station.
- Be ready to have fun!
Classes are offered individually, sign up for as many classes as you like with discounts given for multiple registrations. A 10% discount is offered when two or more classes are purchased (please enter discount code: KTOC10 during checkout).