LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Young Chef, Week 2, Classics with a Twist (ages 8-12), Tues. Oct. 27
Tuesday, October 27, 4:30 pm - 6 pm, Hands-On. (Parent Supervision Recommended)
Cookery is back this fall with a new series and time slot for our Young Chefs. This fall we focus on global comfy classics, from hospitable neighbourhood bistros, welcoming Italian trattorias, and boisterous kebab houses, these menus convey warmth in any language. Join us for our 7-week journey revisiting some comforting classics, and reinventing some new ones.
This live, online class will be hosted on Zoom. You can download the app on your phone/tablet, or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free. This is a class taught in real time. With some supervision, our budding chefs will measure, prep and cook the entire menu along with Chef Joyce and make a delicious family dinner for 4. That's dinner for one weeknight solved!
This week we focus on reinventing a classic pairing. Let Chef Joyce Singh show you how to master the classic grilled cheese: Cheese Crusted Grilled Cheese, served with your very own Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup. Oozing with cheesy goodness and enrobed in the comfort and warmth of a silky soup, this menu is sure to please. Pull up a chair, dinner’s ready!
What you will need:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 300g aged cheddar, pre-slice half of the cheese for sandwiches
- 1 loaf of good quality sliced sandwich bread, sourdough or your favourite sandwich bread
- 2 large onions
- 1 head garlic
- 5 large fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil
- 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp white sugar
- 3/4 cup water (to thin soup, if needed)
- Chef knife to cut tomatoes
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid Measures
- Large (10” or 12”) nonstick frying pan for sandwiches
- 4-5 qt pot for soup
- Box grater (to grate remaining cheese)
- Handheld blender (to blend soup)
- Ladle for serving soup
- Butter knife
- Spatula/wooden spoon
- Flip spatula (to turn sandwiches)
- Tray lined with foil/parchment to hold sandwiches
- Oven to keep sandwiches warm
- Bowls to hold cut tomatoes
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese).
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your work station.
- Be ready to have fun!
Classes are offered individually, sign up for as many classes as you like with discounts given for multiple registrations. A 10% discount is offered when two or more classes are purchased (please enter discount code: KTOC10 during checkout).