LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Young Chef, Week 3, Flavours of India (ages 8-12), Tues. Nov. 3
Tuesday, November 3, 4:30 pm - 6 pm, Hands-On. (Parent Supervision Recommended)
Cookery is back this fall with a new series and time slot for our Young Chefs. This fall we focus on global comfy classics, from hospitable neighbourhood bistros, welcoming Italian trattorias, and boisterous kebab houses, these menus convey warmth in any language. Join us for our 7-week journey revisiting some comforting classics, and reinventing some new ones.
This live, online class will be hosted on Zoom. You can download the app on your phone/tablet, or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free. This is a class taught in real time. With some supervision, our budding chefs will measure, prep and cook the entire menu along with Chef Joyce and make a delicious family dinner for 4. That's dinner for one weeknight solved!
Join Chef Joyce Singh and learn to weave the many tastes, textures, and spice masalas in this vibrant menu, inspired by the flavours of India. Together in real time we will make Channa Masala (a hearty, saucy chickpea and tomato dish with warm spices), Rice Pilaf, and Cucumber Salad with Quick Pickled Onions. How spicy you want it, is really up to you.
What you will need:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 can of 19 oz chickpeas
- 1 small can of 14.5 oz, tomatoes
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 large white onion
- 1 head garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 2 lemons
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1.5 top ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Chef Knife (to slice onions, cucumbers, tomatoes)
- Cutting board
- Medium pot (3-4 qt) with lid (for curry)
- Medium pot (4-5 qt) with lid (for rice)
- Can opener
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cups
- Microplane/Rasp (for grating garlic and ginger)
- Wooden spoon/spatula
- 2 Medium bowl for salad, washing rice, cilantro
- Small bowls to hold ingredients
- Serving spoons for rice, curry, salad
- Small strainer for lemon juice (optional)
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of class (i.e. washing produce, grating cheese).
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your work station.
- Be ready to have fun!
Classes are offered individually, sign up for as many classes as you like with discounts given for multiple registrations. A 10% discount is offered when two or more classes are purchased (please enter discount code: KTOC10 during checkout).