LIVE ONLINE CLASS: Young Chef, Week 4, Shawarma Night (ages 8-12), Tues. Nov. 10
Tuesday, November 10, 4:30 pm - 6 pm, Hands-On. (Parent Supervision Recommended)
Cookery is back this fall with a new series and time slot for our Young Chefs. This fall we focus on global comfy classics, from hospitable neighbourhood bistros, welcoming Italian trattorias, and boisterous kebab houses, these menus convey warmth in any language. Join us for our 7-week journey revisiting some comforting classics, and reinventing some new ones.
This live, online class will be hosted on Zoom. You can download the app on your phone/tablet, or go to zoom.us on your computer and join in, it's free. This is a class taught in real time. With some supervision, our budding chefs will measure, prep and cook the entire menu along with Chef Joyce and make a delicious family dinner for 4. That's dinner for one weeknight solved!
One of of the most celebrated street foods around the world is the popular Shawarma. Join Chef Joyce Singh and learn to replicate these complex flavours with simple preparations. Together we will make in real time, homemade Chicken Shawarma with fresh pita, Garlicky Hummus and a spritely Slaw.
What you will need:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 of a green cabbage
- 2 lemons
- 2 heads garlic
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1.5 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- Baking soda
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric (optional)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-4 Tbsp white sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp salt
- Cutting Board
- Chef knife
- Paring knife
- Cast iron fry pan or heavy fry pan (10 inches or larger for pita)
- Small pot (for garlic confit)
- Food processor (for hummus)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment to line sheet pan for chicken
- 3 medium to large bowls (for marinating chicken, for making pita dough, for making slaw)
- Measuring spoons
- Dry Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cups
- Rolling pin
- Tongs/gloves for chicken
- Oven gloves
- Lemon Reamer/juicer
- Platters to hold finished items, shawarma chicken and pita bread
Recipes and Zoom links will be forwarded to you the day before along with any minor prep that needs to be done before the start of the class (I.e. washing produce, grating cheese.)
To ensure class runs smoothly, please do the following:
- Have ingredients and equipment set out and ready to cook, have items requiring prep in advance of class completed.
- Log into Zoom 10 minutes prior to start time so we can start on time.
- Have your laptop, phone or tablet charged and set up close to your work station.
- Be ready to have fun!
Classes are offered individually, sign up for as many classes as you like with discounts given for multiple registrations. A 10% discount is offered when two or more classes are purchased (please enter discount code: KTOC10 during checkout).