Chef Joyce Mulligatawny Soup
Everywhere you turn, it's cold weather reports, new year's resolutions, health & fitness challenges, financial re-ealuations, and blue Mondays. A little comfort is needed so it's no wonder January is also known as 'Soup Month'.
Add in a pandemic, loss of in-person social connections, work & school at home, and a full lockdown - and better make that some soul-satisfying soup!
Without too much oversharing, I'm unearthing every great soup recipe I have these days! The vegetable chopping has become a kind of meditation for me, and my Overnight Sourdough is on repeat.
Chef Joyce's Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion, ¼” dice
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cardamom, ground
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup cilantro, leaves picked
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, jalapeno and salt.
- Saute for 10 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Add the wine and let it bubble away.
- Add the garlic, ginger, apples, and diced tomatoes to the pot.
- Saute for another 3 minutes, then add in all of the spices and toss to coat.
- Add in the lentils and broth and let the contents come to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the lentils from sticking.
- Puree about 75% of the ingredients using either an immersion blender or by blending some of the soup in a blender.
- Return the soup to the pot if needed, then stir in the coconut milk.
- Taste, and adjust salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with cashew and scallions
Missing anything? See below for all of the essential tools to make this recipe a success!
Microplane's Premium Series, the iconic, long and narrow design, is crafted with razor sharp edges that effortlessly cut through garlic, citrus, ch...View full details$21.00| /Sale
Founded in 1920's France, at the crossroads of iron, sand and fuel transportation routes, Le Creuset has been making heirloom-grade cookware for al...View full details$485.00| /Sale
Original price $375.00Current price $224.00| /
Since 1971, All-Clad has been crafting cookware with American-made steel in their Pennsylvania factory. The brand is famous for pioneering fully-...View full detailsOriginal price $375.00Current price $224.00| /Sold out
All-Clad has been making bonded stainless steel cookware in Canonsburg — just outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — since 1971. The brand is famous f...View full details$374.00| /Sale
Original price $400.00Current price $269.00| /
With the same defining craftsmanship and character as their cast iron cookware, this stainless steel cookware from Le Creuset is made with prof...View full detailsOriginal price $400.00Current price $269.00| /Save 33%
from $9.00| /
The Fire King liquid measuring cup comes in 3 sizes: 1 cup / 250ml, 2 cup / 500ml, and 4 cup / 1000ml.from $9.00| /Sale
Original price $234.00Current price $189.00| /
This is the traditional all-purpose Japanese Kitchen Knife. In Japan, this knife style is known as a gyuto. It is the Japanese equivalent of the ch...View full detailsOriginal price $234.00Current price $189.00| /Save 19%