Chef Joyce's Moussaka
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- ¼ cup olive oil
Yogurt Custard Topping:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and chopped onion and cook until beef is brown, breaking up beef with fork, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant. Mix in tomato sauce, red wine, crumbled oregano , ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Salt to taste.
- Simmer until mixture thickens and is almost dry, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- While meat sauce is cooking, cook eggplant.
- Lay a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange eggplant on baking sheet, avoiding overlap.
- Roast until golden brown, flip and roast the other side (about 15 minutes/side).
Yogurt Topping & Final Assembly:
- Beat yogurt, flour, eggs and ½ cup parmesan cheese together well, reserving ½ cup parmesan.
- Lower oven to to 375 F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange half of eggplant in bottom of dish. Spread meat mixture over.
- Top with remaining eggplant.
- Pour yogurt custard over eggplant.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue baking until golden and bubbling on edges, about 10 minutes longer.
- Cool 10 minutes to allow moussaka to settle.
- Serve with a big green salad.
Shop for everything you need to make this recipe with ease:
Original price $156.00Current price $132.00| /
WÜSTHOF precision forged knives are goods of only the highest quality. Painstakingly manufactured, these knives are pure fun to work with and will...View full detailsOriginal price $156.00Current price $132.00| /Save 15%
1 reviewOriginal price $224.00Current price $183.00| /
Known as the master chef's knife, the kiritsuke is used for all the tasks for which you'd use a chef's knife and offers top cutting performance and...View full detailsOriginal price $224.00Current price $183.00| /Save 18%
2 reviewsOriginal price $247.00Current price $151.00| /
Scanpan CTX is an exclusive series of pots and pans for the everyday demands of food enthusiasts. With CTX, you get uncompromising cookware in the...View full detailsOriginal price $247.00Current price $151.00| /Sold out
The Original Swiss Peeler is available in red, blue, green, and white. America's Test Kitchen: Best Fruit and Vegetable Peeler!$8.00| /Sale
Serve cakes and pies with style using this elegant, mirror finish server.$20.00| /Sale
4 reviewsOriginal price $295.00Current price $215.00| /
Cooking your favourite dishes will be easy and healthy with Le Creuset’s Toughened Nonstick collection. The surface is free of harmful compounds a...View full detailsOriginal price $295.00Current price $215.00| /Save 27%
3 reviews$35.00| /
Ditch greasing pans and replace parchment paper with the Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mat. Designed for nonstick cooking, the silicone rubber ma...View full details$35.00| /Sale