CLAIRE TANSEY'S STICKY KOREAN BEEF
Prep time 5 minutes | Ready in 15 minutes | Serves 3 to 4
This classic Korean flavour combination is out-of-this-world delicious. It’s traditionally made with really thinly sliced beef, but since that’s time consuming and a difficult technical skill to master, I simplified it by using ground meat instead. The key here is to use a pan that
is not non-stick and to let the beef cook without touching it at first so the meat gets a little bit crispy. Then, the sugar in the sauce makes the beef sticky while the other flavours meld into a dish that’s basically impossible not to like.
If you have time to cook a pot of rice, it’s the ideal accompaniment. If not, spoon the beef into lettuce cups or even warmed tortillas. Or just eat it with a spoon—it’s that good.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 500 g medium or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Heat a large cast iron pan over high.
- Add the sesame and canola oils.
- Allow the oils to get really hot, then add the beef and press it into an even layer. Let it cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes, or until the edges become dark brown and slightly crispy.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chili flakes and then stir, breaking up the larger pieces of meat, and cook another 2 to 4 minutes, or until it’s mostly cooked through. If there is excess fat in the pan (this happens if you use medium ground beef), spoon out and discard some fat, leaving roughly 3 tablespoons of it in the pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the meat and add the soy sauce. Stir well and cook about 30 seconds,
- Then add the cabbage. Stir and cook until cabbage softens just a bit, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions.
It's 2 p.m. - do you know what you're making for dinner? That's the struggle most of us face every day, and the more complicated life gets, the mor...View full details$32.00| /Sale
Original price $205.00Current price $159.00| /
WÜSTHOF precision forged knives are goods of only the highest quality. Painstakingly manufactured, these knives are pure fun to work with and will...View full detailsOriginal price $205.00Current price $159.00| /Save 22%
Le Creuset’s Iron Handle Skillet makes it easy to prepare a variety of classic foods on the stovetop and in the oven with even heat distribution ...View full details$220.00| /Sale
Original price $226.00Current price $159.00| /
This is the traditional all-purpose Japanese Kitchen Knife. In Japan, this knife style is known as a gyuto. It is the Japanese equivalent of the ch...View full detailsOriginal price $226.00Current price $159.00| /Save 30%
from $4.50| /
These wooden spoon are made from alpine beech wood and feature an easy-grip handle and is safe for use with non-stick cookware.from $4.50| /Sale
Original price $190.00Current price $144.00| /
WÜSTHOF'S best-selling collection for generations, CLASSIC full-tang knives are precision-forged from a single piece of an exclusive high-carbon s...View full detailsOriginal price $190.00Current price $144.00| /Save 24%
Offset head with shallow bowl is perfect for all your scooping needs. Angled head ensures food stays in spoon while scooping Shallow bowl Nylon Co...View full details$28.00| /Sale